The CARES Rent Relief Program (RRP)
IMPORTANT: Before you apply for rental assistance, please download this CHECKLIST to make sure you send all required documents.
Failure to send a complete application packet will delay processing of your submission and slow receipt by you of any rental assistance, if you qualify. Please use this checklist to make sure you are sending all required documentation and ensure the fastest receipt possible of CARES financial aid to help with your rent.
GET YOUR ASSISTANCE FASTER! We have created a SHORT 4 MINUTE VIDEO to help ensure that when you submit your materials they are complete so you get your rental relief assistance as quickly as possible. We strongly encourage you to watch this brief video before you begin work on your applications.
The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed in March, provided $3.9 billion for Pennsylvania and is intended to help people hurt economically during the pandemic. In late May, the General Assembly directed $175 million of these CARES dollars to PHFA to provide assistance for struggling renters and homeowners. The portion for rent assistance is at least $150 million.
Below you will find the application needed to request CARES rental assistance. Links are also provided to additional helpful information.
PHFA has identified organizations in all 67 counties to process the large number of rent relief applications anticipated. You will submit your application and supporting paperwork to these county organizations for review, following instructions in the application.
The county organizations are now accepting completed applications for rent assistance.
The CARES funding for renters must be completely distributed by November 30, 2020.
Steps to apply:
- There are 3 applications provided below. Print all 3. The applications require both renter and landlord involvement.
- Complete all 3 applications. The landlord must complete the landlord application and the landlord-property certification.
- Gather any supplemental documentation requested in the 3 applications.
- Below the applications you will find the County Contact List.
- Find your county in the list. If you live in Philadelphia or Allegheny County, you can submit online. If you live in another county, mail your 3 applications and supporting documents to your participating county organization, or you can e-mail them. These organizations are processing all applications.
- Wait for a response from your county on whether you are approved.
CARES RRP Application Documents:
* A complete application consists of ALL 3 application documents below PLUS REQUESTED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS *
- Landlord Application
- Landlord-Property Certification Application
- Lessee Household Certification-Renter Application
Mail your 3 application documents AND REQUESTED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS to your county organization, found here:
Additional CARES RRP Resources:
- Cares Rent Relief Program Guidelines
- Application Fact Sheet
- County Income Limits
- Frequently Asked Questions
- IRS Form W-9 For Landlords
- June 17 CARES Assistance Press Release
PHFA's call center is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to assist the public and help with questions about the CARES Rent Relief Program. The toll-free number is 1-855-U-Are-Home (827-3466). Callers should listen for the prompt mentioning CARES assistance for renters. The county organizations to which CARES applications are submitted also have webpages offering useful information for applicants.
All assistance is subject to the availability of funds.