You skipped to and are entering the main content
The following is just a brief list of events in PHFA history. The full PHFA Timeline is available.
- Created by statue at the end of 1972, PHFA becomes operational the following year.
- PHFA first development: Easton Senior Citizens Apartments.
- Federal Section 8 Program is authorized.
- PHFA sells first advance refunding bond issue in the country.
- PHFA starts offering affordable home loans.
- HEMAP legislation (Act 91) passes on December 23.
- PHFA works with CDA on pilot program to create low-cost energy efficient homes.
- Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program begins.
- PHFA issues its first multifamily taxable bond.
- Single family launches Closing Cost Assistance and Rural Homeownership programs.
- PENNVEST loan program.
- Home Equity Conversion Pilot program.
- Intensified single family homeownership counseling efforts launched.
- Federal HOME program funding with DCED begins for single and multifamily programs.
- PHFA celebrates its 25th anniversary and holds its first statewide housing forum.
- PHFA's website goes live.
- All PHFA loans now serviced in-house.
- Single Family Access program for people with disabilities (in conjunction with Governor's Disability Agenda).
- PHFA teams with Penn State Data Center to conduct statewide housing study.
- PHFA moves into its new headquarters at 211 North Front Street Harrisburg.
- Commonwealth Cornerstone Group is incorporated as a non-profit community development entity to promote mixed-use development.
- PHFA launches Employer Assisted Housing (EAH) program with Sony.
- PHFA launches the Pennsylvania Apartment Locator (PAL) – a web-based resource for finding affordable rentals anywhere in the state. Later outsourced to PAHousingSearch.com.
- PHFA's Renovate and Repair (R&R) program is started to help homeowners avoid predatory loans when securing financing to repair and improve their homes.
- The Refinance to an Affordable Loan (REAL) and Homeowners' Equity Recovery Opportunity (HERO) programs are launched to help homeowners who had obtained unaffordable predatory and subprime loans during the housing bubble of the mid-2000's.
- PHFA launches the Preservation Through Smart Rehab program to help older multifamily apartments contain operating costs.
- PHFA partners with the State Treasury Dept to offer new alternative energy improvement loans.
- PHFA announces $1 M grant from John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to help reduce utility expenses for needy families.
- PHFA launches Counselor's Corner website.
- PHFA launches PAHousingSearch.com in partnership with PEMA, DPW & DCED. The program helps displaced PA families after Hurricane Irene & Tropical Storm Lee. Originally the PAL site launched in 2007.
- The state legislature tasks PHFA with administering the PHARE program.
- PHFA launches its Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) program.
- PHFA creates the Customer Solutions Center (CSC).
- PHFA homebuyer education program available online free of charge.
- PHFA launches the Financial Fitness Program "Securing Your Financial House."
- Housing Management automates its financial reporting system.
- PHFA launches newly redesigned, customer focused, and more mobile friendly website.
- First Multifamily Affordable Housing Conference held - replaced Housing Services Conference.
- PAHousingSearch.com relaunched with enhancements.
- PHFA selected as Best Mortgage Company in Readers' Choice Awards.
- PHFA launches three new consumer podcasts.
- Executive Director Brian Hudson retires after 45 years.
- Robin Wiessmann starts as new PHFA executive director.
- PHFA launches new KFIT purchase assistance loan.